AWSOMENESS

AWSOMENESS

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reaction Pg. 17

This story surprised me. At first, I had thought that the beginning scene would be some sort of a joke with the valet pulling a prank on Garcin. After accepting the validity of the story I immediately began to pay attention to the details that were present. The idea of no mirror, Second Empire style room, the bronze heavy object, and the couches. Since there was no upfront, apparent torture I thought that the details brought up in the beginning would serve as torture for the characters.
I found the beginning of this book to be fairly funny. The crude humor of the Valet forced me to often laugh out loud, and endure awkward stares from my father. Simple questions that Garcin makes seemingly bring hilarious answer from the Valet. "Where are the instruments of torture..the what?...the racks and red-hot pincers and all the other paraphernalia...ah, you must have your little joke, sir!...But, damn it all, they might have left me my toothbrush...That's Good!...excuse me smiling" (Sartre, 4). I can honestly say that I was laughing loudly at Garcin's innocence and the Valet's personality. There is no deeper meaning to this quote other than that i found it very funny.
The next thing that caught my attention occurred later in the play. This was when the other characters were introduced into the play. Listening to how they acted and how they acted to each other causes a lot of interesting questions. Why were they roomed together? How they will learn to live with each other? As well as, how did Garcin get so lucky to be roomed with two girls; where does someone get those odds when they're alone for all eternity?

That is all for now other than that the silence will not last.
1ST BLOCK RULES
YAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Sincerely,
Matt Murray

No comments: